One-of-a-kind water sport that it is, river rafting or white-water rafting is a complete experience of thrill and joy! Kolad river rafting is where you can immerse yourself in a pool of adrenaline if you are an adventurer fallen in love with exhilaration! Having started more than a decade and a half ago, Kolad is one of the best destinations for river rafting and other water sports. Kolad is the only site in India where river rafting is carried out year-round for citizens across the country. Having been blessed with the waters of Rawalje dam water in the ever-enthusiastic Kundalika river, Kolad is a water-sport adventure site in Maharashtra you shouldn’t miss out on! If you are someone looking for a holiday destination in Maharashtra filled with an episode of an extraordinary feeling, Kolad is sure calling you!
Kolad river rafting is even more enjoyable when there is more gushing water. Kolad experiences heavy rains making the Rawalje dam full. The release of its waters in the Kundalika river right from the beginning of the monsoon makes water sports even more fun! Rafting is a more famous sport during monsoon than at any other time of the year. Not only is it thrilling but the white-water rafting experience with amazingly green surroundings is a breathtaking experience! Though monsoon is totally fantastic for rafting in Kolad, it might be shut down in case of extreme climatic conditions.
From Pune: Kolad is about 115 km from Pune. It can be reached by travelling by bus, train, or by private car. Travelling via bus and train involves a lot of transfers and also isn’t very cost-effective.
|Mode of Travel||Time Required||Travel Options||Cost|
|Bus||3-3.5 hours||Swargate to Paud ST Stand + Taxi toward Kolad Or Shivaji Putala to Chandni Chauk(109, 145 A) + Bavdhan to Paud ST Stand (233, 70C, 70) + Taxi||₹2500- ₹3000|
|Train||1-1.5 hours||Pune to Lonavala + Cab toward Kolad||₹3000- ₹3200|
|Cab||3.5 hours||U Cabs, Soham Travels, Sainath Cab||₹2500- ₹3500|
|Self-Drive||2-2.5 hours||Drivezy, Revv||₹3000- ₹3500|
From Mumbai: Kolad is about 125 km from Mumbai. You can reach Kolad by travelling by train. You can also self-drive or hire a cab. However, travelling by bus isn’t a great choice to make because it is time-consuming and hectic.
|Mode of Travel||Time Required||Travel Options||Cost|
|Train||4 hours||Sevri to Panvel (Harbour) +Panvel to Kolad (50103)||₹1000-₹1200|
|Cab||1.5-2 hours||Ola Cabs, Armaani Travels||₹3500- ₹4000|
|Self-Drive||1.5-2 hours||Own vehicle + fuel||₹1000-₹1500|
River rafting in Kolad is quite a famous deal and usually experiences huge response from travellers from nearby cities year-round. Here are the details of a few rafting packages in Kolad that can help you choose better:
If you are in or around Kolad and wish to make river rafting in Kolad a part of your itinerary, this is for you. Not inclusive of anything other than river rafting, you can make your Kolad river rafting booking in advance. It includes a rafting experience at a 12 km river stretch, with 8 to 10 rapids for about 2 hours. Depending on availability, you can choose to book online or even purchase the tickets on-spot (some companies do not allow offline bookings).
If you wish to have an adventurous river rafting followed by a finger-licking lunch, you are covered! It is a great experience to enjoy Maharashtrian cuisine in the scenic vicinity of the Kundalika river with your friends and family.
Kolad is a hub of watersports. If you are a traveller from far away and wish to pocket all the adventure experience of the place, this package might just be for you. The package is inclusive of river rafting along with other water-based activities. It includes fun rides of Kayaking, River Crossing, Zipline, etc. You can also add Bumper and Banana rides if you wish to.
A weekend trip to Kolad is the best choice to make and is totally worth it! Apart from enjoying an adventurous day out, you can also have a wonderful stay amidst lush greenery. Inclusive of cottage stays on the river-side, campfire and relishing food on your dinner, your holiday is meant to be special.
Kolad has three types of river rafting namely grade 1, grade 2 and grade 3:
- Grade 1 Rafting: In this type of river rafting, the force of water is low and has a small number of rough areas. The riders require almost no manoeuvring. It is a beginner-friendly type of river rafting. If you are someone, doing it for the first time, or a bit scared of an adventurer, Grade 1 rafting should suit you the best.
- Grade 2 Rafting: This type of river rafting is of medium difficulty. It has medium-intensity rough waves and gushing of water. Also, the areas in which this rafting grade is carried out may have rocks. Grade 2 rafting requires manoeuvring.
- Grade 3 Rafting: This type of rafting is called white-water rafting. It is an expert-level rafting ride with high-intensity water and rough areas. If you are an experienced rafter, you must give this a try!
- Grade 4 to Grade 10: These rides are considered the riskiest yet the most adventurous rafting rides. These rides are not recommended for heart and BP patients.
You must select a rafting grade depending on your experience. However, it is to be noted that, all rafting rides are guided by an experienced rafter from the company.
Kolad river rafting’s best time to visit is during the peak of the monsoon season in Maharashtra. That is from the month of July to October. Nature around is wonderful with a nice flow of water in the Kundalika river making it best suited for river rafting. However, the good news is, that Kolad river rafting is operational year-round except for bad climatic conditions.
Here are a few highlights you must take note of if you are planning a trip to Kolad for river rafting:
- There are two or a maximum of three slots for river rafting available in a day to choose from
- Kolad river rafting age limit is above 14 years of age
- The weight standard of river rafting in Kolad is 40 kg to 120 kg. It is essential for a person to be able to fit in life jackets.
- You are not allowed to swim during rafting rides in the Kundalika river
- You must carefully listen, understand and follow all the precautionary instructions from the guides
- Consumption of alcohol before or during rafting is strictly prohibited.
- Physically unfit and people with serious illnesses of the heart and other vital organs are recommended to not take rafting rides.
- It is recommended to stay moderately full by consuming enough (not too heavy) food.
- You must be hydrated well to sustain the heat during the expedition
- It is recommended to stay safe while performing photography and videography while rafting
- Avoid wearing and carrying valuable jewellery
- Consider wearing river shoes/sports shoes
- Always wear comfortable and sun-proof clothing and fabrics
Here is a quick list of essential things you need to carry for river-rafting:
- You must carry basic medications for allergies, asthma attacks, etc.
- Carrying pain-killers and a first-aid kit is recommended
- Always keep a torch, power bank and some money handy
- Keep plastic bags handy
- A set of handkerchiefs and/or napkins
- A pair of goggles
- Carry a cap or a hat
- Sun-screen lotion
- Identity proof
Although Kolad is best-known for river rafting, there are a number of other water-based activities therein. You can enjoy your heart out if you are a water-lover adventurer. Here’s a list of other things you can do in Kolad:
- Bungee jumping
- Jet skiing
- Rock climbing
- River crossing
- Bumper boat ride
- Mountain biking
We only dream of a few adventures we would have the most fun in our lives, isn’t it? But often don’t dare to gather enough courage to actually wear the gears and do it!
“When you wait for the right time, you’ll never know when it’s already too late”, and so, if you are reading this, it is probably a clear green signal for you to go and raft your heart out in Kolad!
Remember, Adventure is worthwhile in itself!!
- What is the best time to visit Kolad?
The best time to visit Kolad is during the monsoon season in India. Maharashtra experiences its peak rainy days from the month of July to October.
- Is Kolad worth visiting?
Indeed, Kolad is one of the top river rafting sites in India. It is the only river-rafting spot in India open year long and needless to say a popular adventure destination in Maharashtra.
- Why is Kolad famous?
Kolad is famous for its exceptional natural beauty, waterfalls, forests, and water sports. Kolad river rafting & bungee jumping are the most popular things amongst people.
- Is Kolad river rafting open in the rainy season?
Yes. Kolad rafting is open in the Kundalika river during the rainy season. In fact, the river has the best flow of water in the rainy season making it ideal to visit for water sports.
- Can we do river rafting in the monsoon?
Yes, river rafting is operational during monsoon except for bad climatic conditions.
- How is the road from Mumbai to Kolad?
Mumbai to Kolad by roadways is a comfortable option to choose. The roads are in good condition and well-maintained.
- What should I wear to Kolad?
You can wear any comfortable set of clothes preferably of fabrics that guard you against the sun and tend to dry faster.